Who is this Momma Viz?
Hello! Thank you for checking out my page!
My name is Heather. I'm a 33 year old, millennial mom who has been diving deeper and deeper into the design rabbit hole. And the whole thing was pretty unintentional.
See, when I was 24 I was bound and determined to achieve a Masters of Science in Industrial-Organizational Psychology to ultimately support businesses with their training and organizational development initiatives. So I did. In 2010, I enrolled in the I-O Psychology Program at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and began my accidental design journey. In my program I learned how to perform statistical analyses applied to real-world situations. You know what, I write better using bullet point format so here we go...
- I could argue that figuring out which statistical analysis to apply to your research question is much easier than reporting the results from the analysis. Now, there are books/blogs/articles/etc. that tell you exactly how to formulate and describe your findings (e.g., it's not "we accept the null hypothesis" rather it's "we [do not] reject the null hypothesis"), but it's very likely that the people you work and/or your boss have no idea what any of that means. Plus, it's all textual. Science shows that people are visual!
- I discovered that I have knack for PowerPoint presentations during grad school.
- Good at balancing white space
- Good at choosing font styles that are easy to read and not busy
- Good at creating clean looking slides
- During grad school, I was required to complete an internship. I was the intern for the Project Management Office at Volkswagen North America Operations for 3 months. My core task was to update a quality management system (Excel) and produce updated reports (PowerPoint) from that system.